Knome Appoints Heidi L. Rehm, PhD, to Scientific Advisory Board
Dr. Rehm brings deep experience in clinical genomics and patient care as Knome continues to expand
CAMBRIDGE, MA – July 9, 2012 – Knome Inc., the human genome interpretation company, announced today that a leading clinical geneticist, Heidi Rehm, PhD, has joined the company’s scientific advisory board.
“Dr. Rehm is highly respected and influential figure in clinical genomics,” said Martin Tolar, MD, PhD, Chief Executive Officer of Knome. “We are very pleased to welcome Dr. Rehm to our scientific advisory board and look forward to her guidance as we deploy our informatics and interpretation technology into the clinic.”
Dr. Rehm is a board-certified clinical geneticist who is currently Chief Laboratory Director of the Laboratory for Molecular Medicine at Partners HealthCare Center for Personalized Genetic Medicine as well as Assistant Professor of Pathology and Director of the Clinical Molecular Genetics Training Program at Harvard Medical School. Her research focuses on the rapid translation of new genetic discoveries into clinical tests and on bringing novel technologies and software systems into molecular diagnostics to support the integration of genetics into clinical use. Dr. Rehm also conducts research on hearing loss, Usher syndrome, cardiomyopathy and the use of information technology in enabling personalized medicine. She received a PhD in Genetics from Harvard University and conducted postdoctoral work in Neurobiology, followed by a fellowship at Harvard Medical School in Clinical Molecular Genetics.
“Knome has assembled a first-class team of scientific, engineering, and business leaders—all focused on tackling a challenging but critically important mission—the interpretation of human genomes for medical and biological relevance,” said Dr. Rehm. “I am pleased to join Knome’s scientific advisory board and look forward to guiding the company as it pursues this mission.”
Heidi Rehm joins other members of Knome’s scientific advisory board:
- George Church, PhD, Knome Co-Founder and Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board, Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Center for Computational Genetics;
- Yaniv Erlich, PhD, Andria and Paul Heafy Family Fellow and Principal Investigator at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology;
- David Goldstein, PhD, Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Professor of Biology and Director of the Center for Human Genome Variation at Duke University;
- Anthony Sinskey, ScD, Professor of Microbiology and Health Sciences and Technology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology;
- Lincoln Stein, MD, PhD, Professor at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and Platform Leader of Informatics and Biocomputing at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research; and
- Hugh Rienhoff, MD, Managing Director of Life Science Venture Partners.
Knome Inc. (www.knome.com) is a leading provider of human genome interpretation software and services. Clients use our innovative solutions to identify the genetic basis of disease, tumor growth, and drug response. Designed to accelerate the process of interpreting whole genomes and enable the clinical application of genomic findings, Knome’s big data technologies are helping to pave the healthcare industry’s transition to molecular-based, precision medicine.